- PROGRAMME DESCRIPTION
- PROGRAMME STRUCTURE
- ENTRY REQUIREMENT
- TUITION FEE
- CAREER PROSPECT
- MQA CERTIFICATE
- EXTERNAL ADVISOR
Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program provides an opportunity for education and training in all of the major disciplines of medical laboratory sciences. MLS are health care professionals who are concerned with the diagnosis, management and prevention of disease through the use of clinical laboratory tests. They perform complex biochemical, hematological, histological, cytological, immunological, and bacteriological analyses on specimens obtained from patients in hospitals and other related health care institutions. Technologists also perform microscopic examination on blood specimens and other body fluids. They make cultures of body fluid and tissue samples, to determine the presence of bacteria, fungi, parasites, or other microorganisms. To maintain the integrity of the laboratory process, the medical technologists should also be able to recognize factors that could introduce error and reject contaminated or sub-standard specimens. Apart from that, MLS program also is the best platform for those who plan to further their studies in Master of PhD level in the future.
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply advanced level knowledge in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Competently perform and supervise medical laboratory procedures; validate findings appropriately; and plan, manage and execute quality management systems and good laboratory practices (GLP).
- Demonstrate sensitivities and responsibilities towards the community, culture and environment.
- Adhere to the legal, ethical and professional code of conduct in medical laboratory sciences and practice according biological, chemical and radiation safety requirements and regulations.
- Present information and findings coherently; effectively communicate verbally and in writing with patients, their family/caregiver, peers, healthcare professionals and the stakeholders at large; demonstrate leadership, interpersonal and social skills; as well as collaborate with other healthcare professionals.
- Evaluate and recommend new medical laboratory methodologies and instrumentation; seek, adapt and provide solutions to address challenges in Medical Laboratory Science; utilize relevant techniques and identify problems and solutions based on critical and lateral thinking; as well as conduct research related to Medical Laboratory Science under supervision.
- Utilize computer technology and information management systems to enhance their practices; and apply lifelong learning skills and principles in academic and career development.
- Coordinate daily activities of the medical laboratory; apply broad business and real world perspectives in the workplace and everyday activities; and demonstrate entrepreneurial skills in their practice.
LOCAL LOCAL (MOH) INTERNATIONAL RM 53,000 RM 41,150 RM 70,740
NAME DURATION OF APPOINTMENT WORK EXPERIENCES REMARKS Dr. Roslinah Mohamad Hussain 01/09/2015-31/08/2017 Senior Lecturer Faculty of Health Science UiTM Academic Advisor Prof. Dr. Shaharum Shamsuddin 01/06/2012-31/05/2014 Deputy Dean Centre of Health Science USM Kubang Kerian Academic Advisor