Bachelor of Biotechnology Industry (Hons) [R/545/4/0022 (06/18) (A9126)]
Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA)
January / Mac / May / August / October
3 Years / 9 Semester
MYR 33,585 (Local) *
* The policies, regulations,procedures and fees are subject to change without prior notice of Unisel
- Foundation in Science Program from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science from Ministry of Education/Private Institution with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- Diploma in Biotechnology/Science from UNISEL/ Matriculation Certificate in Science with at least CGPA 2.00; or
- STPM/A-level or equivalent with at least 2 principals inclusive of Science subject (Biology/ Chemistry/ Physics/ Science) or
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) with Grade B in 5 relevant subjects including Biology and Chemistry
This program will provide students with:
- fundamental knowledge, principles and skills in biotechnology.
- strong analytical and critical thinking skills to solve problems by applying knowledge, principles in biotechnology.
- ability to acquire and apply the basic knowledge and skill in science and biotechnology.
- Skills and understanding of biotechnology processes will be developed through a planned series of practical skill based activities.
- Students will be exposed to a hands-on activity via, lab work, assignment and thesis that are designed to allow the development of hands-on skills and develop creativity in designing and planning.
- students will also expose to the needed soft skills in real-life situations as individuals involved with the biotechnology industry. This set of skills acquired through learning courses, assignments, thesis that emphasize soft skills such as the communication and presentation skills, critical thinking and scientific problem solving (pre-planning, production and organization), leaderships skills and entrepreneurship.
Program Learning Outcomes
At the end of this programme, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of plant biotechnology, microbial biotechnology, animal biotechnology, marine biotechnology, industrial biotechnology and biointrepreneurship.
- Analyze, synthesize and apply knowledge andinformation in various area of biotechnology.
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills inrelevant areas of biotechnology.
- Posses good interpersonal skills and communicateeffectively.
- Make decision and work independently.
- Manage basic biosafety and biohazard facilities.
- Function effectively as an individual, leader andteamwork.
- Pursue life- long learning to meet global challenges.
- Be professional and ethical in their profession.
Year 1 Course Code Course BBS 1123
Cell and Molecular Biology
Technical English 1
Technical English 2
National Languange A/B
Islamic Studies/Moral Studies
Year 2 Course Code Course BBS 1224BBS 1213
Cell and Tissue CultureMolecular Techniques
Introduction to Bioinformatics
Principles of Management
Year 3 Course Code Course BBS 3114BBS*
Bioreator and Bioprocessing*Elective (Specialization) 1
*Elective (Specialization) 2
*Elective (Specialization) 3
Research Project 1/Thesis 1
Research Project 1/Thesis 2
Principles of Marketing
*Elective (Specialization): Agriculture Biotechnology/Aquaculture Biotechnology/Industrial Biotechnology
Core Course Description
Synopsis BBS 1123 Cell and Molecular Biology This course provides the basic knowledge on cell and its structure and functions. It discusses on how the genetic information is stored, regulate and express and how to control the expression level. It also explains how the DNA can be damaged and repaired. BBS 1134 Genetics This course encompasses three areas, namely, transmission, molecular and population genetics. It focuses on the transmission of traits and the genetic basis of variation. It explains how the unit of heredity, the gene, is stored, copied, expressed and regulated. It also provides the practical applications of genetic principles. BBS 2124 Biochemistry This course describes life’s processes using the language of molecules that is applying the principles and methods of chemistry to determine molecular structure to explain biological functions. Since living cells are assemblage that include very large molecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, and polysaccharides, therefore, this course will focus in more details on these topics, beside to other topics such as lipids and their derivatives. All living organisms require and use energy in varied forms such as mechanical, thermal and electrical energy. Thus, topics as metabolisms, cycles (Gluconeogenesis, Glycolysis, Kreb’s Cycle) and photosynthesis are discussed within this subject as well. BBS 2114 Microbiology This course describes knowledge about microorganism, classification, factors to support the growth of microorganism and their important role in environment. This subject will provide students with a necessary knowledge and good understanding of microbiology technique. BBS 1224 Cell and Tissue Culture This course will provide students with the basic knowledge of tissue culture, may it be of animal cells or plant cells, tissues and organs. Equal emphasis will also be given to the hands-on experience on tissue culture, from the preparation of medium, to the culture of various types of tissues. Students will also be exposed to possible challenges in tissue culture and develop the ability to solve the problems related to tissue culture. Students will also be exposed to the commercialization of tissue culture and their applications in the industry and also in research. BBS 1213 Molecular Techniques The subject focuses on laboratory work which will enable students to understand the DNA, which is the molecule that contains the biological information. It will also demonstrate the genetic variation and diversity at the molecular, cellular, organism and population level. BBS 2134 Food Biotechnology This course explores the developing field of biotechnology beginning with the origins and the use of genetic engineering techniques. Many of the applications of biotechnology will be discussed with emphasis placed on food biotechnology applications. Ethical, public, nutritional, and safety issues will also be addressed. BBS 2254 Immunology This course enables students to have an understanding in basic concepts of immunology. It offers a comprehensive insights on the types of immune response, cells and organs of immune system, types of antigen, structure and function of antibodies and also the complement system. Topics on immunity against bacteria, virus and parasites, diseases associated with immune system and techniques in immunology will also be highlighted. BBS 2234 Genetic Engineering This course will expose students with the basic concept of genetic engineering as one of the tools in biotechnology research. They will learn the various techniques to do cloning, transformation and gene expression. The genetic engineering concept is applied in plants, animals and microorganisms. The students will learn how to produce the Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) and expose to the regulation and laws in patenting and biosafety concerning biotechnology research in Malaysia and worldwide. BBS 2244 Industrial Microbiology The course includes the study on industrial microorganism and the technology required for large-scale cultivation of microbe. Student will learn the fermentation technique for production of product in various industries; such as in food and beverages industries, fuels and chemical industries and in pharmaceutical industries. BCS 3124 Fermentation Technology This course discusses the use of microorganisms in fermentation technology and biotechnology which cover principles and history of fermentation, microbial metabolisms and regulation, microbial isolation and screening, culture preservation, fermentation techniques and conditions and their application in the production of enzymes, amino acids, alcohol, acetic acid, lactic acid, biomass and mixed fermentation commonly implemented in food industries. BCS 3114 Enzyme Technology The aim of this course is to give basic knowledge of the general properties of enzyme. It is also aimed at grasping knowledge about the technical use of enzymes and the possibilities to change and improve enzyme performance for adaptation to technical applications. This subject highlights how the catalysts of the biological world, the enzymes, can be used in a variety of contexts. Kinetics of enzyme catalyzed reactions as well as enzyme immobilization is also included for better understanding of the application of enzyme in the industry. BBS 2214
Introduction to Bioinformatics
This is major core subject, taken by students in the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons.) Program. Students will further look at the the basic knowledge, principles and concept about bioinformatics. This course will expose the student to the bioinformatics analysis software that could be applied in their future research. Student will also learn about the public and commercials software that available in bioinformatics analysis. They will learn how to extract the latest information from the international journal on bioinformatics topic. BBS 3114 Bioreator and Bioprocessing This course will provide students knowledge on components or sensors used in one reactor system and understand several types of bioreactor system applied in production of pharmaceutical products, food products, wastewater treatment and medical products. Knowledge on operation of one bioreactor system is the most important thing for fermentation process from inoculum preparation until harvesting and kinetic study of the system.
- Research Officer
- Science Officer
- Lab Manager
- Product Specialist
- Laboratory Executive
- Tissue Culturist
- Environmental / Safety Specialist
- Quality Controller
- Research Associate
- Public Sector: Basic starting monthly salary is around RM1,940 ; plus allowances (such as housing and services) the total can amount to around RM2,790.
- Private Sector: The amount of basic starting monthly salary can vary from the above amount. However, the total amount of monthly salary earned (inclusive of allowances) is subject to negotiation and which can be higher than that earned in the public sector.